Gummy bears are a popular treat among both children and adults, and while store-bought versions are high in sugar and chemicals, creating your own is surprisingly easy. If you want to treat your kids to something healthy, try this recipe for homemade gummies.
Remember that this is a basic recipe that you may want to alter and add your own delicious twist to. Supplements can be added to make them more nutritious or to keep them hidden from fussy kids.
Before we get to the recipe, let’s take a look at how store-bought gummies may damage your health in the long run. To begin with, the major component in these gummies is glucose syrup. Regular intake of glucose syrup can result in obesity, high blood sugar, poor oral health, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Sugar is the second ingredient, followed by gelatin and dextrose. The four main components of these little gummies are simply sugars in different forms. We don’t have to look far to know that they aren’t healthy foods.
Let’s jump to the fun part, making your own gummies…
For the recipe you will need:
- One and a half cups of fresh juice or vegetable juice.
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin, I suggest grass-fed gelatin but you can use the plain one.
- 2-4 tablespoons of raw honey. You can use any type of natural sweetener too.
- Half teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Then, set the saucepan over medium heat. Allow the liquid to warm but not boil. You want the gelatin to totally dissolve and become thin and runny. Do not worry if it is grainy at the beginning after a couple of minutes in the heat, it should dissolve completely. Combine the honey, vanilla extract, and any other ingredients you’ll be using in a mixing bowl.
- Refrigerate the liquid in a small jar, or in a loaf pan or in your fun gummy molds for around 2-3 hours.
- Remove them from the refrigerator then from the mold, this shall not be difficult. Cut your gelatin into little squares if you’re using the loaf pan.
- Refrigerate your homemade healthy gummies for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. They will last even if left outside, but I recommend storing them in the refrigerator.
Turn Them Into Multi-Vitamin Gummies:
Providing your kids with the right dose of vitamin daily is essential. But we are all aware that things like cod liver oil, while incredibly beneficial to your child’s health, doesn’t taste good.. Trick them into taking their vitamins through your homemade gummies.
You can choose your own flavours, but I suggest going with natural flavours such as fruits and vegetables as our body absorbs best from natural sources. You can proceed by juicing your fruits and veggies, however, keep in mind that you may lose some fibre.
The best part of making your own at home gummies is that you can add anything, they will be your personal health bombs pack with whatever nutrients you want. You should be careful though, do not switch your prescribed vitamin with the gummies, this is just a supplement. If you have been prescribed a vitamin, take it as prescribed by your doctor. Let us know down in the comments if you are willing to give our recipe a try.