5 Easy Steps to Prepare the Surface to Be Wallpapered
– Step 1: Remove the old wallpaper
– Step 2: Clean the surface
– Step 3: Fill in cracks and holes
– Step 4: Prepare the gluing
– Step 5: Remove outlets and switches
Wallpaper should be applied to a previously prepared wall or ceiling for best results. Even if some papers hide defects and roughness, it is preferable to work on a healthy, clean, and relatively uniform support, to facilitate the gluing, the installation, and the good behavior of the wallpaper.
Depending on the type of support and its old coating (wallpaper, paint…), allow a few hours before installing the future wallpaper.
Here is the material and the steps to prepare the wallpaper support.
1. Remove the old wallpaper
If the support is covered with one or more layers of wallpaper, remove all the coverings to avoid defects and unnecessary overlapping …
Work from the bottom to the top by tearing off all the paper.
Read more: 3 Important Steps for Removing Wallpaper
2. Clean the support
– To remove all the old traces of wallpaper paste, wash the support well.
– If the support is covered with an old
◦ Clean it well to get a clean background using a special cleaner or wall lye.
◦ Let it dry well.
◦ Remove paint blisters with a painter’s knife.
– If the support is covered with an old coating, peel off the parts that no longer hold.
Note: before washing the substrate, turn off the room’s power and protect the floor with a plastic sheet.
3. Fill cracks and holes
Regardless of the type of surface, fill cracks and holes with filler.
Once dry, sand to even out the surface and remove dust.
4. Prepare for gluing
To facilitate gluing:
– If the support is blocked (paint, lacquer…), sand the surface to roughen it up and apply an undercoat or use a special glue for blocked backgrounds when installing the wallpaper.
– If the support is porous (plaster, wood, concrete), apply a bottom blocker to solidify the support.
5. Remove sockets and switches
To make wallpapering easier, remove outlets and switches. Before you begin, turn off the circuit breaker or fuses.
For the switches, unscrew the visible mounting screws with a flathead screwdriver to access the electrical wires. If necessary, note the cables’ location so you can reassemble them correctly.
Loosen the retaining screws and gently remove the switch from the wall without forcing the wires. Place the wires in the holes so that they do not stick out.
Materials to prepare the wallpaper
- 6 Steps to Install Wallpaper With Seams;
- Tips to Remove Stains on Wallpaper;
- How to Knit in Jersey;
- 5 Steps to Upholster an Armchair;
- 3 Steps to Assemble a Knitted Fabric;
- Tools Every Craftsperson Should Have;
- Best Tips on How to Knit Purl;
- How to Knit in the Round;
- 3 Steps to Knit With Circular Needles;
- Best Tips on How to Knit Purl;
- How to Bring In the Threads of a Knitted Fabric;
- Tips to Knit Outstanding Bonnet for Baby;
- How to Make a Wooden Crate;
- DIY Parquet Installation;
- How to Remove Carpet Stains;
- Tips to Drill Your Tiles;
- How to Apply Security Film on a Window;
- How to Do a Paint Touch-Up;
- How to Drill a Sink;
- How to Install a Sink;
- How to Drill a Wall;
- Painting With an Airless Sprayer;
- How to Make a Customized Photo Frame;
- How to Paint Melamine;
- How to Paint MDF;
- How to Make a Cardboard Storage Box?